Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hearty Haricot Vert - Roasted Green Beans

In some parts of the world, the fresh summer crispness of green beans is only a trip through the garden away. For people like myself, living in this year's very Very VERY wet spring of the Pacific NW, these fresh "fruits" of the summer vine are still a little way off in the near future.

Luckily, fast refrigerated transport of produce exists. So while I am still waiting for the beans to begin their precarious climb towards fruition, I can still enjoy a plethora of fresh pods from somewhere in the San Joaquin or Imperial Valleys of California. Woo Hoo!

My favorite way to cook "String Beans" is to saute them in a little Butter & Olive oil, then finish them with a few toasted almonds. But my second favorite way to enjoy these verdant vegetables is to roast them in the oven, then finish them with lemon juice and toasted almonds. (are you seeing a pattern here?)

Roasted Green Beans

1 lb String beans, washed and snapped
1 TB Olive oil
Sel Gris or Kosher Salt
Black pepper
Zest of 1/2 Lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 TB Toasted Almonds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, meanwhile wash, dry and snap the beans.

Toss the snapped beans into a 13x9 baking dish.

Drizzle with Olive oil, then toss to coat.

Sprinkle with Sel Gris (or Kosher Salt), Cracked Pepper and zest of 1/2 Lemon, then toss again.

Roast for 15 - 20 minutes, just until they start to color.

Drizzle with the Lemon Juice.

Load up your favorite vegetable bowl and sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Mangia!!
~~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

almonds are a must apparently! LOL. I love me some green beans. I've never grown them myself though.

Cookiebaker said...

These look awesome! I love green beans but have never roasted them before....will definitely be making this way soon.