Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cool as a Cucumber 'neath a Sycamore Tree - Gini Hendrick's

I have my brother to thank for exposing me to the wonder that is Hendrick's Gin, a product of Scotland that tastes like no other Gin I have ever consumed.  A surprisingly crisp and clean "cucumbery" flavor that hints at rose water.  A far cry from the normal "London Dry" gin or "American" gin that tends to focus more on the Juniper Berry aspects which in some ways smells like Urine. (ick)   Don't get me wrong, I love gin, but it still smells funny.

I am aware that there is a cocktail out there referred to as a "Jimi" (named after Jimi Hendrix) which is constructed of muddled cucumber & lime with a dash of simple syrup and Hendrick's Gin all shaken over ice and served with a floating slice of cucumber (very Zen looking).  All designed to highlight the unusual cucumber laden quality of this particular distillate.  I however, feel that a little more simplicity is in order.

With the advent of "designer" soda, experimentation with flavors becomes a little easier.  Thus, armed with 2 cucumber sodas,  taste testing began.  I chose Mr. Q. Cumber and Dry's version of cucumber soda.  Now I have to tell you that I was a little leery in the beginning.  Most soda contains a ridiculous amount of sugar (39g per serving), though usually in the form of the "brain chemistry altering" substance known as High Fructose Corn Syrup, but I was relieved to see that Mr. Q contained a mere 22 g per serving (in the form of "sugar") with the Dry brand sporting a paltry 11g per serving (yet again, in the form of actual "sugar")   Yeah! 

The verdict - after making this drink a couple times I have come to the conclusion that the Dry Cucumber Soda is better, due to it's low sugar content.  The Mr. Q was good, but it was still just a touch too sweet.

So here it is. A simple, unassuming concoction of Cucumber soda and Hendrick's gin, to be sipped and enjoyed 'neath any tree you wish.

Gini Hendrick's

1 jigger (1 1/2 oz) Hendrick's Gin
Ice
4 oz Dry Cucumber Soda
1 Cucumber Slice
Fine Sea Salt
Cocktail Glass (large Martini Glass)

Fill a Cocktail Shaker with ice (Cracked ice works better), the add the Hendrick's Gin and Shake to chill (I usually keep my gin in the freezer next to the vodka)

Pour the chilled spirits into a equally chilled cocktail glass.

Top off with 3 1/2 to 4 oz of Dry Cucumber Soda or Mr. Q. Cumber Soda.

Sprinkle or dip a cucumber slice in sea salt

Hang the Cucumber slice from the side of the glass.

Enjoy!!

Crisp, clean and effervescent.  Your mouth will water after the first sip.

Cin Cin!!
~~

1 comment:

Patti T. said...

You are making my mouth water. This sounds fantastic.