Thursday, April 21, 2011

For Folks With Yolks - Ye Olde Egg Noodles

In the wake of my latest Angel Food Cake marathon (Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake forthcoming, I promise) I have been left with a rather alarming quantity of yolks.  (sigh)

Over the years, because I LOVE Angel Food Cake, I have had to come up with ingenious ways to consume said yolks (10 to be exact).  Creme Brulee is always a winner, but tends to be a little much when one is in the middle of consuming a rather large 10-inch cake.  Lemon or Lime curd is always a great idea too, however the recipe only uses 3 yolks (as well as a couple of actual eggs) so one would have to make a triple batch and it doesn't freeze well.  But there is ONE thing that freezes very well, and is key to one of my favorite dishes.

Good olde Egg Noddles...  Which make an excellent base for Stroganov. (but that is tomorrow)

Thus armed with copious yolks, I decided to make an octuple batch of noodles to be packaged and stored in the freezer for whenever the mood for Chicken Noodle soup or afore mentioned Stroganov strikes.   The recipe below is not for the huge batch I made, but for a single batch that will produce 16 oz (1 lb) of noodles.

Egg Noodles

2 Cups (9 1/2 oz) (280 g) AP Flour
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 large Egg Yolks
1/4 cup Water

Whisk Flour and Salt together in a large bowl.

Whisk Water and Egg yolks together in a small bowl.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the Yolk/Water mixture.

Begin mixing with your fingers (yep, get those hands dirty) until a stiff dough is formed; if the dough seems a little stiff, go ahead and add a little more water, 1 tsp at a time, until the dough is workable.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.

OK, normally, for a single batch, I would simply roll the dough out but since I am doing so much this time, I grab the kitchen aid attachments (both the roller and the fettuccine cutter)

After the dough has rested, cut it into manageable chunks (for a single batch, about 3 pieces)

Run it through your roller to level 4 (or roll to between 1/8th & 1/16th inch thick) then cut into 12 inch sections.

Cut noodles with a sharp knife to your favorite width or use a fettuccine cutter to cut your noodles.

Sprinkle liberally with flour to ensure they don't stick together and spread out on a baking sheet.

When all noodles have been cut, you are ready to go.

Now if you made a billion noodles (like I did) you need a few freezer bags sprinkled liberally with AP flour on the inside.

Measure out your chosen quantity of noodles.

Place them in the bag, then sprinkle more flour on top.

Once you have sealed the bag, go ahead and shake the bag gently to distribute the flour all over, then lay flat to freeze.

If boiling when fresh, they only take 3 minutes, if frozen they take about 10 minutes.

Tomorrow?  Stroganov!!!! 

Mangia!!
~~

1 comment:

Patti T. said...

Last time I made some fettuccine noodles, I vac packed them and then froze them. Oh my what a mistake. I will use your method next time. I have been wanting to make extra and freeze them since I got my KitchenAid attachment for Christmas. So much easier than when I had to roll them and cut them by hand.