Friday, December 2, 2011

Oldie But Goodie - Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies

I decided that for my second non-shortbread Christmas cookie, I would tackle one of my grandmother's favorite treats.  Old Fashioned Molasses cookies.

That's all. No big uber fantastically sentimental Christmas story behind these.  It's just that she doesn't bake the way she use to anymore, due to her medical issues; so it's up to we grandchildren to carry the torch and provide HER with all the delectable morsels that she has made for US over the years.  And just in case she sees this.... I love you Granny!  You da bomb!

Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies

270g (9.5 oz) (2 cups) AP Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 1/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tsp ground Ginger
1/4 tsp ground Cloves
113g (8 TB) Unsalted Butter
200g (1 cup) Light Muscovado Sugar (or Dark Brown Sugar)
2 TB Nut oil (Such as Peanut, Hazelnut or Walnut)
80ml (1/3 cup) unsulphured Full Flavor Molasses (I think "Grandma's" brand calls it"Robust")
1 large Egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 - 3/4 cup Raw Sugar or Demerara Sugar

In a small bowl, combine AP Flour, Baking Soda, Kosher Salt, Cinnamon, Ginger and Cloves, whisking well to disperse the spices.

In the bowl of your mixer, beat Butter and Muscovado Sugar until fluffy. (Light Muscovado is a little darker than "Dark" Brown Sugar and a little moister, so you get more flavor and more "chew" in the final cookie)

Add Oil and continue beating to combine well.

Slowly pour in the molasses (I use Brer Rabbit because that is what my grandmother always used)

Once the molasses is combines well and it doesn't look like it has separated, add the Egg and beat until everything is all light and fluffy like frosting. (about 2 minutes)

Add the Vanilla extract and beat an additional minute.

Reduce the mixer speed to low, and begin adding the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.

The dough will almost be as soft as "batter"; don't worry, it's still fine.

Move to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C) degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
Place 1/2 -3/4 cup of Demerara or Raw Sugar in a bowl. (you can use white sugar, but Raw & Demerara have more molasses flavor)

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into 1 inch balls.

Roll them in the Raw Sugar or Demerara Sugar until completely coated.

Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes (they will puff up and then sink back down in a nice crackled pattern when done)

Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.

Then move them to a cooling rack.


Mangia!!
~~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, mmmmmmmmm I swear I can smell them. And kuddos for carrying on Granny's recipe, you know I'm a big fan of THAT. :)

Bob said...

First: I love molasses cookies, my mom used to make them every year. Second, how am I supposed to get in touch with you? I can't find a contact thingie anywhere on your page. My sister is a vegetarian and wants recipes for Christmas and I figured you could help since you're the dude who has all the fancy pants recipes. You've got my email, but where is yours?