Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire... er, I mean "Oven" - Oven Roasted Chestnuts

One of the things I have always wanted to do is roast chestnuts over an open fire.  Alas, this is not possible when one lives in an apartment without a fire place, thus I have never actually done it. You can roast them over a gas range in a cast iron pan, but I have an electric cooktop right now...  SO, I have opted for the method I have been restrained too over these many years of apartment dwelling...  A 425 degree oven. 

Roasting Chestnuts

Chestnuts
a bird beak knife or box cutter
Baking Sheet
Towel

First you need to preheat the oven to 425.
Next you need to score your nuts.

I prefer a bird beak knife as it affords me a little more control and less chance of a trip to the emergency room to have my finger sewn back on.  (I have heard that a box cutter works well, also)

Firmly grip the chestnut and carefully cut a large "X" on the flat side. (if you are worried about stitches, use a pair of pliers to hold the chestnut while cutting)

Place the chestnuts on a baking sheet.

Move them to the oven for at least 10 minutes, possibly 15 until they have expanded slightly (which is why you need to cut an "X" in them, to keep them from exploding)

Remove from the oven and wrap them in a towel.

Twist the towel to secure the mound of chestnuts and give it a whack on the counter or on the floor or your spouse's head (I'm just kidding about the last one)

This should have cracked the shells a little more.

Let them cool for about 10 minutes before peeling.

Voila!  Roasted Chestnuts for your Stuffing, or Cauliflower au Gratin (coming up)





Mangia!!
~~

1 comment:

Patti T. said...

I have not had roasted chestnuts in ages. We used to cook them over an open fire at my in-laws. They were so good.