Friday, November 18, 2011

The Weather Outside is Frightful, But the Scones are So Delightful - Gingerbread Scones

It's that time of year again... No, I'm not talking about Thanksgiving, and I refuse to acknowledge that Christmas exists until AFTER Thanksgiving...

I am referring to the fact that it is the last month of autumn, and the weather is getting chilly... As a matter of fact, as I sit in front of my laptop, I am watching snowflakes fall out the window.  This makes me start craving wintery things like hot chocolate, gingerbread, lentil soup, homemade breads and pot roast. 

mmmmm  Gingerbread!  Luscious Lebkuchen... Whether in actual cake form or cookies....  It's always just what the doctor ordered, even though it's technically a little early.  It has always been a traditional Chri... I mean, 25th of December kind of thing in my family.  

Luckily, I have an out.  Not that I am necessarily opposed to making gingerbread "out of season" but I think these will fit the bill very nicely and they are delicious with Hot Chocolate!

Gingerbread Scones

9.5 oz (270 g) (~2 cups + 2 TB) AP Flour
1 TB Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Ginger, ground
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Mace
a tiny pinch of Clove
Pinch of Kosher Salt
8 TB (113 g) (4 oz) Unsalted Butter, sliced thin
5 TB + 1 tsp (78 ml) (~1/3 cup) Molasses
5 TB + 1 tsp (78 ml)(~ 1/3 cup) Whole Milk

Preheat the oven to 425 F (218 C) (GasMark 7) degrees.
Combing Molasses and Milk in a small pitcher or bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill.

Whisk Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking soda, Ginger, Cinnamon, Mace, Clove and Salt together in a medium bowl.

Add the slices of Butter,

and work it into the flour with either your fingers or a pastry cutter until you have a fine crumb.

Remove the Milk mixture from the refrigerator and pour it into the Flour mixture.

Stir with a fork to form a soft dough.

Turn out onto a well floured surface.

Roll to about 1/2 inch and press out 2 1/2 inch rounds or, for fun, use a gingerbread cutter to cut scones.

Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or use an ungreased "Airbake" pan (I don't use mine very often, but I was out of parchment)

Poke with holes as desired...  I got a little creative...

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.

Carefully open the oven, making sure they don't escape... ;)

Move to a rack and allow to cool just long enough so you won't burn your fingers.
Slather with copious quantities or Crème Fraîche and enjoy!

Now I just need some Hot Chocolate!

Mangia!!
~~

No comments: