Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kickin it With Caprese - Heirloom Insalata Caprese

Nothing too earth shaking this evening. Just a few Heirloom grape tomatoes and some Basil. Though I did find a new kind of Buffalo cheese. Ya learn something new every day. I had never heard of Quadrello di Bufala, and here I thought the only thing they made with buffalo milk was mozzarella. Go figure. :)

The cheese itself was quite delicious. Hailing from Lombardy, it's a washed-rind semi-soft like Taleggio; the resemblance in uncanny. Though it sports a rich & sweet milky flavor. An interesting alternative to the normal Mozzarella di Bufala I would use in Caprese.

Heirloom Insalata Salad

There really isn't a recipe cause Caprese is what you make of it.

Some Tomatoes, sliced in half in this case.

Add as much torn basil as you like, cube your Mozzarella di Bufala or Quadrello di Bufala and add it to the mix. (I used about 4 oz of Cheese and 1 pint or 1 lb of grape tomatoes.)

Drizzle the whole thing with salt, Pepper and Good Extra Virgin Olive oil, then toss.

Boo-yah!

Dinner is Served!

Mangia!!
~~

3 comments:

Dajana said...

I love Caprese in any form.
It's funny, but I've never heard of this cheese either. I know about quartirolo, which is a fresh cheese used in salads a lot, resembles feta in a way but it's different. You really learn something new every day.

Patti T. said...

What a perfect time of year for this recipe. I just bought some white balsamic vinegar to try on my next Caprese salad.

Unknown said...

Perfect summer flavours you actually have me craving this salad