Monday, July 12, 2010

Risotto Runnin' For The Border - Risotto alla Tex-Mex

I am sure you were all sitting on pins and needles, pondering how long it would be before I posted another risotto recipe. Well the wait is over! LOL

I have been playing with flavors from "south of the border" over the last week. And it all started because I made a big batch of Chipotle Pulled Chicken. So when it came time to prepare Lemon Risotto, I decided to make a foray into a somewhat unfamiliar territory. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's OK to "Live on the Edge"... The earth is round, so I can't fall off.

There is something to be said for Italian food with a "Mexican" flair. After all, it was an Italian living in Tijuana who invented the Caesar Salad (Caesar Cardini). Not that I think this risotto recipe will experience that kind of renown, but hey, you never know. Stranger things have happened. (I lived through my 20's, it doesn't get much stranger than that)

Risotto alla Tex-Mex

2 1/4 - 2 3/4 cups Chicken Stock
2 TB Unsalted Butter, plus 1 TB for later
1 Medium Shallot, diced
1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
1 cup Arborio or Carnaroli rice (Arborio is easier to find)
1/2 cup room temperature Sparkling Wine (I used Spanish Cava)
2 TB grated Queso Asadero
2 TB Mascarpone cheese
Zest of 1/2 Lime or 2 Key Limes
3/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 oz Lime juice or Key Lime juice
dash of Tabasco Sauce
Cilantro and lime slices for Garnish

The choice of lime is all up to you, but for this one, I liked the regular lime better than the Key lime.

As always, begin heating your stock in a small saucepan, then melt butter in a separate saute pan and adding the shallot and garlic when the foam subsides.

When translucent, add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with the Spanish Champagne (Cava)

Once the rice has "soaked up" the Cava, begin adding chicken stock 1 ladle at a time, stirring until absorbed before adding the next.

When the rice is al dente, remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 TB of Butter, Queso Asadero, Mascarpone, Lime zest, Cayenne and Salt, stirring to incorporate; then cover and let it set for 3-5 minutes.

Before serving, stir in the Lime Juice,

and don't forget the Tabasco!

Garnish with a slice of lime and some Cilantro.

Mangia!!
~~

1 comment:

Patti T. said...

I am such a fan of cilantro, lime, and the spices you used. Sounds great to me, although it is sooooooo hot lately I think I will wait until it is cooler to try this.