Sunday, March 17, 2013

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling - Guinness Fondue

St. Patrick's Day is HERE!!!!!

It's that time again....  Yes, it's time for me to don my sacred, if a little scruffy, Guinness hat and do something fun and interesting with this most Irish of brews.

Come on..... "Say ya like my hat, Shannon!"

The only difference this year, is that I chose to use Draught instead of the Extra Stout.  Though I must admit that I had to rack my brain a little to come up with something this time.  It had to be REALLY good since I messed up last year and missed St. Patrick's Day all together, being absorbed in my quest for Sauce Nantua and Mahi Mahi Mousseline.

Then it struck me.  I love Traditional Irish Soda Bread, so I should do something with that.  But Guinness Soda Bread just didn't sound all that appetizing.  I may bake my Soda Bread unconventionally, but that is simply because I lack a bastible (Dutch Oven), but I am a purist when it comes to my ingredients.  So I thought about using it in bread pudding with Guinness.  But I am really stuck on the Irish Whiskey Bread Pudding I usually make.....  I mean, why drink beer when you can have whiskey, right?

Then, since I was cooking all sorts of German food this last week, it suddenly hit me.  Fondue!  Soda Bread would make excellent dipping fodder.  Hmmmmmmm  Would Guinness make an decent base for a nice Cheddary fondue?  You bet your shamrocks it does...  Use a nice Irish cheese (I chose Kerry Gold Dubliner) and you are all set for a Swiss classic with a seriously Irish twist.

After all, aren't we ALL a little bit Irish on St. Patrick's Day?

Guinness Fondue

(With Toasted Irish Soda Bread)

Olive Oil, in a spray can
1 Loaf Traditional Irish Soda Bread (with no frills)
14 oz Dubliner (Kerry Gold), shredded
1 TB AP Flour or Corn Flour
1 tsp Mustard Powder
1 clove Garlic, sliced
2 tsp Olive Oil
1 1/4 cups Guinness Draught
1 tsp Lemon Juice

Cube the Irish Soda Bread and lay it out on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil.

Toast bread in the oven at 350F degrees for about 10 minutes, just until it begins to color; set aside

Toss shredded Dubliner with Flour (either AP or Corn) and Mustard Powder in a medium bowl or a zipper bag, set aside.

In a small sauce pan, heat oil and saute garlic until it becomes fragrant.

Remove the garlic slices and add Guinness and Lemon Juice to the saucepan.

Bring to a simmer and slowly add the Cheese, a little at a time, stirring until completely melted before adding more.

Once all the cheese has been incorporated and everything is silky smooth, move to a fondue pot or a small crock pot set on low.

Dip toasted chunks of Irish Soda Bread until your hearts content. (No fondue forks? Skewers work well)

Don't forget to chase it all down with another Guinness.  :)

Want something Green?  Forget the artificially dyed Pilsner....  Dip chunks of Granny Smith apple.

But my favorite dipper of all, is crispy bacon....  Muah ha ha ha!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
~~

For other Guinness Stout recipes see....

The Black and Tan - Stout Brownie & Malted Gelato

Into Bushmills instead of Guinness?  Check these out instead.....

~~

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Oh, so tasty, had to roll into bed after over eating this tasty dish. So good, filled up on fondue and couldn't even drink another Guinness.

Patricia Taylor said...

BACON, how did I never think of that!! My husband would probably eat a whole pound!