Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chiquen Nuggets & Mycoprotein by Quorn

OK, normally I would not write a post on something like this. There is a part of me that is ashamed that I bought some processed food and simply heated it up in the oven when I got home. But I am back on manditory overtime and time was short this evening, so I was desperate to have something other than a salad for dinner.

I went running through Vons frozen aisle looking for an Amy's Organic meal or something along those lines, since I was going to be pretty much regulated to heat and eat this evening. This always requires label reading, because just as with normal processed food, even the "Vegetarian" stuff contains hidden evils.

OK, not quite as evil as... oh say, High Fructose Corn Syrup and Red #3, but I am one of the 5% of the United States population that is allergic to soy beans. It runs in the family, so is my dad, to the point of Anaphylactic Shock. Which means, at least in my family, 2 out of 5 that are allergic to soy products.
Which really sucks, because it is hidden in a lot of things under many guises. TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), SPI (Soy Protein Isolate) and then there is the blatant Soy Protein... Not wanting to end my evening in the emergency room receiving an epinephrine injection.

I should mention right here that this is in no way a soy bashing post. You see I have an out... It seems, very strangely, that I am capable of eating fermented soy products such as Tamari and Miso with no ill effects... I still do not fully understand WHY this is... It just is.... Miso & Tamari = good; Tofu & Soy Sauce = bad...

So there I was, quickly snatching various boxes from the freezer case; flipping them over, reading the back and just quickly tossing them back like so many undersized fish. Then I happend across a product I had never seen before....

OK, this is also not a shameless plug for the product either...
I am just excited about it because of this.....

Evidently, this product is made with a fungus (not a mushroom, but it is related). This fungus grows in big vats of oxygenated water, feeding on glucose supplements and is then processed into a Mycoprotein. It's also a non-Genetically Modified Product. The fungus has never been "tampered" with.

Mycoprotein... Who'd a thunk it... I knew Portobellos made an excellent meat substitute, I have been grilling them for years, instead of Beef. But this was beyond anything I had ever seen before. You have to hand it to the British, they are absolutely ingenious. For that is where this product was developed, back in the 50s & 60s and has been available throughout Europe for decades. Oh yeah, and it finally made it to the U.S. in 2002 (WHY are we ALWAYS so far behind)... Not without controversy I might add. But it appears that Mycoprotein is here to stay....

This is an ovo-lacto vegetarian product, because it DOES contain whey protein and egg albumen as a binder. It also contains some wheat gluten (aside from the actual breading), thus the Gluten intolerant should probably avoid it as well. I was, however, heartened by the high Monounsaturated fat content though. This made me feel a little better about eating a processed meal.

Most importantly, how did it taste....? HA HA HA, well it didn't "taste like chicken", I can tell ya that much. At least, I sure didn't think so. That wasn't necessarily a BAD thing. If I had REALLY wanted "Chicken" THAT bad, I would have cooked some. It was very "Meaty" tasting, but not a Chicken, Pork, Turkey, or Mushroom flavor... It was just an all around "Meat" flavor. I don't really know how else to describe it.

Will I buy them again? Yes, I liked them well enough to keep some in the freezer for emergencies like tonight. Just like how I keep Trader Joe's Vegetable Gyoza in the freezer for emergencies too... I will also purchase it to show my support for a vegetarian product that can be eaten by those of us with Soy allergies.

Mangia!!
~~

4 comments:

Bob said...

That stuff is so weird. Glad you liked it, I might have to try it myself. You know, for science. :)

Heather S-G said...

A couple of years back, when I was "counting" things and "weighing" things alot, I got hooked on Quorn Patties. They were just formed, not breaded. And though they didn't taste like chicken, I kinda got hooked on them for a while. I'd forgotten about them until I saw this, though. Hmmm....I may have to revisit Quorn. ;)

Anonymous said...

Dude, you know I luv ya man, and I trust ya like a brotha, but I'm gonna have to just take your word for this one LOL

Unknown said...

Im not sure if I could do it! I mean my tastebuds would be so confused (and possibly disappointed) with the "looks like chicken, smells like chicken...must be chicken" concept. Maybe I'll get them for my wants-to-be-healthy-but-loves-cookies-too-much daughter. LOL

Glad you found them for you and liked them :)