Sunday, February 14, 2010

Violets In The Snow

It's been a while since I have posted about classic cocktails; course then again, this is not exactly a "Classic Cocktail" either...

I have, however, mentioned Crème de Violette before. That lovely Violet liqueur from Austria. I used it when I made Divinity, and I have used it to scent whipped cream for Brussels (Belgian) Waffles. I don't think I posted a picture of the bottle though. So THIS is what I have been talking about.......

This is the epitome of violet in liquid form, right down to it's "violet" color. It's awesome stuff!

A little back story... As I have mentioned before, I grew up on a farm. When you grow up in a small community, you really get to know your "neighbors". Neighbors being anyone within 2 miles of you. Penny, our "neighbor" was like my second mom while I was growing up. So this was my little Valentine's Day surprise for her when she came over for dinner this evening. Just a little something special.

You see, Penny loves violets. She even collects a Fenton pattern known as "Violets In The Snow". Thus the name of this small digestif, in honor of her love of all things violet. It helped, that the unseasonable warm weather has caused the violets to bloom already as well. ;) They added the perfect edible touch to this small indulgence.

Violets in the Snow

1 oz Crème de Violette
Ice in a Cocktail Shaker
1 Cordial Glass
1 TB Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Violet Flowers (washed and air dried)
1 Tea Cup Saucer
1 Demitasse Spoon

Simple place the pony in a shaker with ice and shake it well.

Strain into a cordial glass.

Whip the Heavy Cream until it thickens slightly, not to the peak stage.

Spoon the whipping cream into the glass so that it floats atop the liqueur.

Place 2 washed violet flowers on top of the frothy cream.

Serve on a small saucer with a demitasse spoon for stirring. (Once the violets have been eaten)

Cin Cin!
~~

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!!!!!

Printable Version of... Violets In The Snow

2 comments:

Patti T. said...

How very pretty and thoughtful.

Unknown said...

that is the most beautiful cocktail I have ever seen!