Friday, April 17, 2009

Got Curd? - Meyer Lemon Curd

For those who have not seen, I made Meyer Limoncello about a month ago. This left me with a rather large supply of Meyer lemon Juice, which I promptly froze in ice cube trays, so safely await the day when I decided what to do with it.

Well I have finally decided, I want some Meyer Lemon Curd.   Lemon curd is surprisingly easy to make. In it's basic form it is simply a combination of egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar and butter. Then cooked on the stove, just like custard, until the egg proteins coagulate enough (or curd up) to coat the back of a spoon. Basically, Lemon Curd is to Lemons what Custard is to Milk/Cream.

I make mine a little different, as I add 2 of the 6 egg whites in with the sugar and lemon juice, and I don't wait to stir the butter in at the end. I think the whisking of the egg whites with the sugar incorporated just a little air, making the curd a little lighter, but I could also be crazy. As far as starting with melted butter, well, I have had too many batches cool to fast when adding the chunks of butter at the end, so they don't melt properly and fully incorporate, this eliminates that problem.

Now I just need to make some decent scones and find some Devonshire Cream I will be set.


Meyer Lemon Curd


4 oz (113g) Unsalted Butter
2 tsp Meyer Lemon, Zest
2/3 cup (156ml) Meyer Lemon Juice
3/4 cup (150g) Granulated Sugar
pinch of Kosher Salt
2 large Eggs, separated
4 large Egg Yolks

Melt the butter in a bowl over simmering water and set aside to cool slightly.

In a separate bowl place Sugar, Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice and Salt.
Separate the eggs, placing 2 of the Whites in the bowl with the Sugar and Lemon.

Place the yolks into the bowl of melted butter.

Whisk the ingredients in both bowls until homogeneous,

Then add the Sugar/Lemon mixture to the Yolk/Butter mixture and place over simmering water.

Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture reaches 172F (78C) degrees, or until it thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Strain through fine mesh into a clean bowl, to stop cooking.

This will also remove the spent zest and overcooked egg specks from the curd leaving it smooth.

Cover on the surface with plastic to prevent any crusting and leave to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

Serve with scones or crumpets or just eat with a spoon ;)

Mangia!
~~

Lemon Curd on Foodista

4 comments:

Unknown said...

can you make a lemon curd pit with that? Looking good! hope you feel better

Bob said...

Mmmmm, lemon curd. Love that stuff. Are you going to make lemon bars next?

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Danielle - I suppose, Lemon Curd Wrestling could become the new rage... I am feeling better today. Thank you.

Bob - Yes, cause I still have 1 cup of juice left, but I have something special planned for the curd...

Spryte said...

That looks creamy and delicious!