Tuesday, April 7, 2009

You Really Oughtta, Empanada!!!

OK, technically I am a day ahead, but I wanted to post this so it is seen on April 8th since it's National Empanada day. So this evening I made a bunch of Chipotle Chicken Empanadas. Oh yeah baby!! All kinds of spicy chicken goodness wrapped in a deep fried envelope of golden brown deliciousness.

The dough was the tricky part, I have seen yeast raised empanada skins, baking powder based skins, simple pâte brisée skins and even Puff Pastry skins. I decided to check on what Martha was doing on her web site (sometimes ya just gotta defer to Martha). She was using a hybrid corn flour pastry. That seemed like a good idea to me. So I ran with it.

The filling, well the filling is simply a modified version of the Chipotle Pulled Chicken that I make. I removed the can of tomatoes and the chicken stock so the filling would be drier. Then I just added cheese. I would have preferred Queso Asadero, but I could not find it. So I opted for 12 oz of Queso Enchilado instead.


Chipotle Chicken Empanadas


Chipotle Chicken Filling:
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Tenders
1 small Onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, Crushed
4 springs of Cilantro
2 tsp Salt
the Juice of 1 lime
Sauce:
3 cloved of garlic; minced
1/2 can of Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce
3 TB Tomato Paste (I use the kind in the tube)
7 oz Tomato Sauce
Juice of 1 lime (If using Mexican/Key lime, use 3 limes)
1 small can Diced Green Chilies
12 oz Queso Enchilado or Asadero, shredded

In stockpot, bring chicken, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime and salt to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

Remove Chicken and set aside to cool for 10 minutes; discard onion, garlic and coriander.


I used a new method for shedding this time, suggested by one of my BakeSpace buddies.
Place the chicken in the bowl of your mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the chicken into submission.

This was the coolest thing ever, normally it would have taken me 1/2 hour to shred all the chicken, the Kitchen Aid did it in 2 minutes.

WOW!!
In blender, puree the Chipotles in adobo, Garlic, Lime Juice, Tomato Sauce and Tomato Paste.
Add to the pulled chicken and mix thoroughly along with the green chilies.

Stir in 3 cups of Shredded Asadero or Enchilado

Set aside and make Pastry

Corn Pastry:
3 cups AP Flour, plus more for work surface
1 1/4 cup + 2 TB Masa Harina or Corn Flour
1 TB sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
4 1/2 TB Unsalted Butter
3 large egg yolks
3/4 - 1 1/4 cup water

Whisk flours, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
Cut butter into small slices and work into the batter

until it begins to hold together when compressed.

Add egg yolks and mix with a fork.
Slowly add water, beginning with 3/4 of a cup, you may not need it all, it will depend on the humidity in your kitchen.

Knead until a soft dough is formed, then wrap in plastic and let rest for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough in 1/2

Roll out and cut 3 1/2 inch circles.

Stack them and cover to keep the pastry from drying out.

Preheat Deep fryer to 350 degrees
Place 1/2 TB in the center of the pastry circle.

Brush with a little water, fold and crimp with a fork.

Drop in to Hot oil for about 90 seconds, until Golden Brown and Delicious.

Drain on paper towels

and eat as soon as they are cool enough that you will not burn your fingers.

Mangia!
~~

4 comments:

Spryte said...

OMG YUM!!!

But shouldn't it be "comer" instead of "mangia"? =)

Shane T. Wingerd said...

HA HA HA That is a good point.. ;)

Bob said...

Oh wow, those look wicked good. I could go for three or four for breakfast right now. :)

Unknown said...

those look a lot better than the ones I tried last week. Someone brought some to work that were "premade"....they werent very good. I wanna try those ones :)