Monday, April 6, 2009

Tuna Fish, Tuna Fish... It's My Favorite Dish - Tuna Skewers with Chermoula

I received a fantastic Mediterranean cookbook over the weekend from my friend Stephanie. It covers a wider area than most. It always seems to me that "Mediterranean" cookbooks seem to focus on Lebanese, Turkish and Greek recipes. Don't get me wrong. I love them. This book, however, seemed to remember that southern France, Southern Spain, Sardinia, Corsica, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco are also part of the Mediterranean cuisine. This book has a little of everything... Which is nice.
It gives me lots of ideas.

To get my feet wet, I decided I needed to try a Tuna dish for my very first foray into the book (Tastes of the Mediterranean). Of course, I have altered the procedures slightly to fit with my normal methodology. ;)

Chermoula is kind of like an Algerian Pesto sauce, utilizing Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley and Cilantro (Coriander leaves) but lacking cheese.

OK, about the skewers. I used my grill pan, indoors, so I did not soak them. If you are doing this on an outside grill, please soak the skewers for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.

Skewered Tuna with Chermoula

1 1/4 LB Tuna Steak
3 TB Olive oil
3/4 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Lemon Zest (about 1 medium lemon)

Simply cube the Tuna (about 1 inch cubes).

Toss the cubes with the Lemon Zest.

Mix the Cumin and Olive oil together.

and pour over the Tuna,

Tossing to coat.

Let this set for 10 minutes, while making Chermoula

Chermoula
3 tsp ground Cumin
1/2 tsp ground Coriander
2 tsp Sweet Paprika
pinch of 2 of Cayenne pepper
4 cloves of garlic; minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh Cilantro (Coriander Leaf)
1/3 cup Lemon Juice (From the zested Lemon used for the marinade)
1/2 cup Olive oil

Toast the Cumin, coriander and paprika in a dry skillet or sauce pan over low heat, until fragrant.
Chop the Parsley and Cilantro before measuring, then move to a bowl.
add oil and lemon juice, then warm spices and toss together.
Me? I was in a hurry tonight, so I threw everything in my Magic Bullet

and blended the heck out of it...

I wish I had taken the time to chop it by hand... The texture would have been better. A blender is no replacement for this type of sauce. I should know better, I use a mezzaluna for my pesto... Let's just call it a lapse in judgment.. It is Monday after all.Link

When the Tuna is finished marinating, place the cubes on the skewers
Then Brush with the marinade.

Heat your grill pan on medium high.

Grill 1 minute on each side for Rare or 2 minutes on each side for Medium.

I served over CousCous.
Bring 1 cup of Vegetable stock to a simmer.

Remove from heat and add 1 cup CousCous Pasta, stir then cover.
Let is set for 5-7 minutes and fluff with a fork, then stir in a little pat of butter.

Serve skewers on a bed of CousCous with a drizzle of Chermoula.

Mangia!!!
~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess and I have been wanting to try a new recipe for tuna on the grill. I think this is just the recipe to try out. Thanks!

Michele said...

That tuna looks so beautiful and fresh!

Bob said...

This sounds good. You know, I've never had tuna that wasn't from a can. I like that, so I think I should really try real tuna.