Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thyme to Roast the Cipollini - Balsamic Glazed Cipollini

MMM MMM MMM.... I picked up this recipe from "Proud Italian Cook" a couple years ago after she had been listed by the Chicago Tribune's "Chicago's Best Blogs" site. I am so very glad I did cause these are awesome! Mine don't usually turn out quite as picturesque and I always seem to crave them when I am missing fresh thyme, but they were awfully tasty with my roasted chicken none the less.

I mentioned before that Cipollini (chee-poe-LEE-knee) were not really an onion back in my post on Slow Cooked Tomato Sauce, being the bulb of the Grape hyacinth. But in the grand scheme of things, it matters not whence they came from, for they ARE delicious regardless of botanical parentage. :)

The recipe is simple and free flowing... It's really a matter of taste.

Balsamic Glazed Cipollini

Cipollini "onions"
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Thyme
Salt
Pepper

First grab an 'au Gratin' pan, or similar (It just seems to work better) and preheat the oven to about 375 degrees.

Cut the very tip of the top off with a knife and run the cipollini under cold water, while rubbing them and the outer skins will peel off in a snap.

Dry them well, so the 0il will stick.

Cut off the bottom so they will lay flat in the pan.

Sprinkle them with Salt and Pepper, then drizzle with Olive oil.

Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar

Sprinkle them with Thyme (either Fresh or Dried -- I like Lemon Thyme the best)

Place them in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced by a knife.

Move Cipollini to a plate, with tongs.

and spoon the glaze in the bottom of the pan over the onions....

YUM-Capital "E"

Mangia!!
~~

6 comments:

Patti T. said...

I always thought they were an onion, do they taste like onions?

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Patti - Not really, they are kind of sweet, like pearl onions, but with a kind of caramel flavor... :)

Michele said...

They look great! I didn't know that Proud Italian Cook has a cookbook!

Bob said...

Sweet, but with a caramel flavor. And roasted in balsamic. Why haven't I heard of these before? Why? I'm going shopping tomorrow, I really hope I can find them.

Unknown said...

these look wonderful! of course, anything with balsamic vinegar has to be good, right?

Patti T. said...

Thanks for the explanation Shane.