Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rolo'in, Rolo'in, Rolo'in On The River - Spryte's Rolo Cookies

Not that I am trying to rub it in or anything, but I am going Sturgeon fishing again tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn. Since I will almost assuredly be a zombie, I decided that I was going to be in need of a sugar buzz. Since I am going to be drinking about 4 gallons of coffee to stay awake, I decided some sort of sweet was in order and Spud Nuts don't really travel all that well. (Especially when one is hiking down the side of a cliff to get to the river bank while carrying a 10 foot 1 piece fishin pole) So, I decided that my blood sugar would have to endure being spiked by Rolo Cookies.

I know I have mentioned Rolo Cookies before because they were the inspiration for the Barry White cookies as well as the Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies that I made a little over a year ago. It all started with my friend Spryte from Spryte's Place. I met Spryte on Bakespace, which is the best inspirational social hangout's for all sorts of food related deliciousness. If you love food, conversations about food, or need a little advice or inspiration with food, then I suggest you check it out. It's awesome! So awesome, in fact, that Bakespace has been nominated for a Webby Award. If you check it out, and like what ya see you can vote here and show your support for grass roots communities like Bakespace.

OK, Back to the cookies......
So Spryte made these delectable chocolate cookies that were stuffed with Rolos, which melt when the cookies are baked and thusly creates this buttery gooey soft caramel center that just SCREAMS awesomeness! When I made them the first time, in my pre-blog days, I finally had to take them to work or risk eating all of them myself. They are seriously THAT good. As a matter of fact, I am beginning to drool on my keyboard just thinking about them as I am typing this. (I often write my introductions before I actually do the baking part)

I highly suggest that you try these, because they are seriously "da bomb". Spryte's original recipe is located here at Spryte's Place. So without any further yimmerin and yammerin, let us embark upon caramel stuffed chocolate cookie decadence. Oh, one note though, I always use the Pecans, although Walnuts, Hazelnuts or Almonds will work as well, but I find the caramel, chocolate & pecan combination to be reminiscent of those Turtle candies so I do it that way.


Spryte's Rolo Cookies


2 1/2 cups AP Flour
3/4 cup natural Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1 cup Butter
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Large Eggs
48-54 Rolo Candies
1 1/4 cup Pecans, chopped
1 TB Granulated Sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together the Flour, Cocoa and Baking Soda; then set aside.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter, Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the Eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each addition.

Mix in the Vanilla extract.

With the mixer at low speed, gradually add the Flour mixture, beating until combined

Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for about 2 hours.

Combine the chopped Pecans with 1 TB granulated Sugar in a small bowl and set aside.

After chilling the dough, begin preheating the oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and begin scooping out Tablespoons full of dough.

Gently wrap each TB of cookie dough around 1 piece of Rolo candy, creating a ball.

Roll the resulting cookie ball in the Pecan mixture.

Place the cookie balls on your lined cookie sheets, about 1 inch part.

Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, depending on your oven. (My electric oven takes 10 minutes, my gas oven only took 7)

Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to allow the caramel to set a little before moving to a cooling rack to completely cool.

Brew up some of your favorite coffee, kick back with a cookie or 4 and relax.

Or throw your bait in the water, kick back and wait for a bite, while you take a bite. ;)

Mangia!!
~~

3 comments:

Bob said...

Oh man, I love those things. Spryte is some kind of cookie goddess.

Unknown said...

I remember these!! and I wanted to make them but never did...thanks for the reminder :) They look awesome

Bo said...

These look great...the only problem is that none of the rolos would make it into the cookies...I bought a big bag of rolos last week...they are already gone...I'll try this after I jog off the last bag of rolos.