Monday, September 28, 2009

Reminiscing With Ramen - Chicken Tarragon Cream

I just figured that I should regale you all with at least two or three of my old Ramen concoctions before I let the matter drop.

This is one of my more experimental attempts, granted, this WAS about 15 years ago, or maybe 16. Either way, as I stated before... Flavor availability at the time was limited. I have always loved mushrooms with tarragon, especially when cream becomes involved. I think of it as a quintessential combination... Sort of a manage a trio of flavor, if you will. Thus it was that this recipe arose utilizing the chicken flavor of Ramen noodles.

In case you are curious, most of the "flavor packets" contain little more than whatever "flavor" of Bullion along with MSG, of course, and spices which usually consist of only Onion, Garlic and Chives. So you are pretty free to add just about ANY herbs to Ramen that you wish.


Chicken Tarragon Cream

1 pkg Chicken Ramen
1/2 Rib of Celery, Diced
1/2 tsp Tarragon
Pinch of Dried Lemon Zest (cause I packed up my MicroPlane zester)
Pinch of Nutmeg
5 Medium Sized Mushrooms; Quartered
1/4 Cup Half & Half of if you are feeling particularly decadent... Light or Heavy whipping cream.

Place 1 3/4 cups water in a saucepan along with the Celery, the Seasoning Packet, Tarragon, Lemon Zest and Nutmeg.

Meanwhile, while the water is coming to a boil, heat some olive oil in a small skillet and sauté Mushrooms; then remove from heat and set aside.

Add noodles to boiling water.

When there is about 50 seconds left, add the sautéed Mushrooms.

When 30 seconds left, add the Half & Half or Cream and let the Ramen come back just to a simmer then remove from heat.

Place in a bowl and enjoy with another sprinkle of Nutmeg or Tarragon or garnish with a Lemon slice.

Mangia!!
~~

4 comments:

Michele said...

I love that you kicked up your ramen! Very cool!

Bob said...

I never, ever would have thought to do something like this with ramen. It looks wicked good! The possibilities are endless...

Unknown said...

YUM! I bet my family would like this one a lot. I'd just have to leave out the tarragon cuz we suspect that one of the kids is allergic to it :(.

Patti T. said...

Great recipe, starting with the lowly ramen noodle.