Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Sandwich Just Isn't a Sandwich, Without the Tangy Zip of....

.... Orange Infused Olive Oil.

HA HA!! I bet you thought I was gonna say Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (yuck) Although to be honest, I have nothing against the "sweet pickle" flavor of Miracle Whip. It has it's place in certain applications, though they are very few. My issue with sandwich usage stems primarily from the fact that it is "gray". Seriously. If you hold a spoonful of Miracle Whip against a spoonful of even store bought Mayonnaise, it has a gray cast to it that I find completely unappetizing... It's unnatural looking. That coupled with the fact that is kind of has the texture of gooey plastic when you scoop it out of the jar... (shudder)

A-N-Y-W-A-Y. I'll nip this in the bud before I get stuck on a tangent regarding unnatural food colors, like blue. Blue is not a food color. Dark Purple, yes.... Blue, no. I remember my biology classes. There are no "Blue" genes in plants. Violet, but no blue. (I am sure there has been some new discovery since I was in school and I am probably wrong now, but until such a time as ) LOL

See, I cannot help myself... Tangent, Tangent, Tangent.... ;)

Sandwich...... Must talk about Sandwich....

My supplies have been dwindling on certain things, and due to budgetary constraints, I have not been replacing them as often as I normally do. While I think I usually get the best "bang for my buck", cause I am a cheapskate, even my affinity for finding a bargain is not really helping in the current economic crunch.

Thus it was that after the last pizza fest (which I have not posted yet) I was out of my favorite olive oil for this type of application. I am very much a fan of a particular Sicilian Olive oil that I purchase at Trader Joe's for such things as, well, Pizza dough or brushing on bread before toasting or just drizzling on certain items like sliced Mozzarella di Bufala. But since I used the last of it to make my last batch of pizza dough, I had to improvise. Luckily I still had a little bit of Orange Infused Olive oil that I had picked up at T J Maxx (See, I told you I was a cheapskate) for about 3 bucks. This is the Olive oil, there is also a Lemon version made by the same company, that I normally drizzle on salads and other fresh vegetables, unless there I am feeling particularly Greek, at which point I use the Kalamata Olive oil (also from Trader Joe's).

Thankfully, the Orange Olive oil really complimented the other ingredients, adding a nice depth of flavor. This pleased me immensely, since I am using the last of my San Marzano Tomatoes and Basilico Napolitano for this sandwich. Yes, I was SO excited about growing the famed tomato from Campania, but alas, my patio was too hot and cooked the plants in their pots, causing low harvest and small, though utterly delicious, fruit.

So it was, with a heavy heart, I made one last foray into the Caprese/Pizza Margherita flavor area with this sandwich. At least I was able to share the experience with a friend. :)

Caprese on Ciabatta

2 Ciabatta rolls
1 San Marzano Tomato
4 oz Mozzarella di Bufala
Neapolitan Basil (lots, cause I really didn't have enough)
Orange Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Preheat the oven to 375
Slice the mozzarella, tomato and cut the Ciabatta rolls in half

Drizzle the Ciabatta rolls with Orange Olive oil

Place on a sheet pan and toast in the oven for 3 minutes (Only partially toasted)

Remove from oven and lay basil leaves on 1 half (or both if you like a lot of basil)

Lay Mozzarella slices over the Basil leaves and Tomato slices on the other half (this will keep the basil from burning); then drizzle with more Orange Olive oil and hit both sides with Salt and Pepper. (I used smoked salt)

Place back in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, just until the Mozzarella starts to melt (you don't want it to melt all the way and run off the bread onto the pan)

Remove and slap the 2 halves together, then slice and enjoy.

Mangia!!
~~

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooh my goodness! does that looks scrumptious! I think my favorite sammy bread is ciabatta! btw...I agree with you on the miracle whip thing. When I was a kid I liked it (though mom never ever bought it) but what did i know? I only bought it once and was repulsed by the texture, and probably the color as well, in a subconscious way.

DutchBakerGirl said...

You are totally right--Miracle Whip is gross. That sandwich, however, is beautiful!

Heather S-G said...

I could definitely go for one of these sammies...sound absolutely delish! And I have NEVER liked Miracle Whip...can't stand the flavor. I once went to a bagel shop and ordered chicken salad on a bagel...unaware that they made it with Miracle Whip...ewwww. Lunch ruined. Stayed hungry. But orange infused olive oil on the other hand... :D

Anonymous said...

This sandwich was amazing!!! Shane thank you.