Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Cookie From the Peanut Gallery - Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

This is my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe with a twist. Ever since I experienced Spryte's Rolo Cookies, I have been obsessed with wrapping cookie dough around delicious morsels of yumminess. This was part of the reason that Barry White Cookies came into being. I have done this one time before, but I didn't blog about it back then. I am going to up the ante on standard peanut butter cookies Oh yeah Baby... I am talking about havin' em filled with Reese's Peanut Butter cups.
Yeppers, you read that right. Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups wrapped in delicious Peanut Butter cookie dough.

This gives the cookies just a hint of chocolate, but not too much... and the sweetened peanut butter center is just plain awesome! This recipe makes 29 - 30 cookies. So Never Fear!! There will be a few Peanut Butter cups left over for the cook to munch on. Oh Yeeaaahh!

My peanut butter of choice, for peanut butter cookies, is always Adams Crunchy. Though it is a little hard to find this far south, but it's the one that I grew up on, in the big 5lb tub. We kids ate A LOT of peanut butter toast with honey before heading out in the cold morning to take care of the animals before school. So it's pretty much my staple peanut butter.

As an added bonus, the ingredient list is simple... Peanuts, and 1% or less, salt..

No Palm oil, Hydrogenated Coconut oil, Sugar, or HFCS.... Peanuts, the way it should be. All the good fats and none of the guilt. :)

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

1/2 cup Unsalted Butter; Room Temperature
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Large egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
3/4 tsp Baking Soda (this slows down spreading, and makes them a little crisper)
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 3/4 cups AP Flour
1 12 oz Package of Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Cream butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy.

In a separate bowl, whisk Baking soda, Salt and Flour; set aside.

Mix in Egg and vanilla into the creamed mixture.

Add Flour mixer, stirring to combine.

Chill dough, covered, 30 minutes.

Unwrap your mini Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C)
Scoop out about 1 TB of the cookie dough

and wrap around the cup. (try to remember which side of the peanut butter cup is the top and which is the bottom)

Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, with what would have been the top of the peanut butter cup, facing down, so they spread properly.

Place hatch marks on the tops with a fork (cause this is just what you are suppose to do to peanut butter cookies)

Bake until edges are very lightly browning (about 10 to 13 minutes).

Let rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.

Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee.... You cannot see it, but my French Press is in the background brewing up a batch of that deliciously dark ambrosia... ;)

Mangia!!
~~

9 comments:

Patti T. said...

I absolutely love this idea. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for always giving me great ideas.

Dajana said...

Sigh! Sigh! Do I have to come all the way to the States to buy the peanut butter cups.
God, those would be dangerous, popping in my mouth

DutchBakerGirl said...

Yum! Great cookie. I know a certain boyfriend of a daughter that will really, really want me to try these!

Unknown said...

HAHA!! nope....can't have a peanut butter cookie without the hatch marks! Oh man...I had leftover peanut butter cookie dough that I froze. Cooked em all up last weekend....missed it by that much!

Heather S-G said...

OMG...it doesn't get much better than this! I have to make some of these. But I must do it when there are many other people around or I will eat them all. ALL!

...and you know, I cannot remember if the package said double or tripe cream. I threw it away already and can't make it out in the picture! Sorry :(

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

These look great!

Hello left over Halloween candy!

Anonymous said...

by far these are the best cookies that i have eaten, I am a big peanut butter and chocolate fan, thanks shane

Spryte said...

Those look so good!!! I might try to make them tonight. I'm going away this weekend and I know my guys would LOVE them!

PS... love your ring!

Anonymous said...

Think if I make these Jim will fall in love with me all over again? I think so too....and ditto about the pb cookie trademark, they just wouldn't taste the same w/o the hash marks!